Monday, September 10, 2012

Toasted müsli, LCHF style


I am SO glad I found this recipe, as well as finally finding he time to make it! Because this is the best müsli I have ever eaten.  It’s so healthy as well, without any of that nasty sugar the store-bought toasted müslis are full of.  And of course, it’s low in carbs as well. 


Ingredients
1 cup almonds
1 cup walnuts
1 cup hazelnuts
1 cup sunflower seeds
1 cup linseeds, whole
1 cup sesame seeds
1 cup shredded coconut
1 cup water
½ cup coconut oil
5 tablespoons erythritol (or other sweetener), plus more erythritol for tossing
Cardamom
1 teaspoon salt

Method
Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Roughly chop walnuts, hazelnuts and almonds and transfer to a large baking bowl.  Add seeds and the shredded coconut, stir.  Then add salt and sweetener. Pour over oil and water and stir well. Spread mixture on a baking tray, there’s no need to use baking-paper underneath.  Sprinkle more erythritol on top, along with some cardamom (if desired). Put the tray in the oven, without stirring at this point in time. Bake for 15 minutes in the middle of the oven. Then remove tray, stir thoroughly to prevent burning. Add another layer of erythritol, then bake for another 15 minutes before stirring again. Repeat process every fifteen minutes, with or without adding cardamom. I think I got 4 layers with sweetener, and chose to add cardamom on two of those layers. The baking-time was roughly 1 hour to make a crispy, golden müsli. Depending on your type of oven, it may take a bit more or less. I reduced the temperature down to 160 degrees C towards the end.  Guess what I’ll be having for breakfast tomorrow –  and probably for the rest of the week  :-D

Enjoy! 



Thanks to Caroline on www.fotballfrue.no for inspiration. I have made a couple of small changes, and "australianised" the recipe somewhat using cup-measures. 

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for this great recipe.
    The inclusion of sesame seeds reminded me that I had a qtn about one of your other inventive recipes; low carb pizza.
    In that recipe, you used ground sesame seeds. Do you buy sesame seed flour, or, do you roast your own sesame seeds and then grind them yourself?
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SO sorry it has taken me forever to answer your comment. I was super-busy, and somehow it slipped through the cracks... Glad to hear you like the musli :) I can't claim it's my own creation, though, but great recipes are meant to be shared! I just buy sesame seeds. I tried to grind them in a mini food-processor, but it didn't go very well. So even though it says ground sesame seeds in the recipe, I've just whole from then on, and it works very well still.

      Delete
  2. Hi BK, Thanks so much for replying... I know how busy life gets :-)
    My local woolies has just started selling Oat Bran which would go well with this muesli - 50% less carbs than normal oat meal.

    Have you heard about the new sweetener called Tagatose? https://nunaturals.com/product/566
    So far it is not available at iHerb (which is a shame), so I think it can only be purchased direct from NuNatural.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard about Tagatose, but never tried it myself. Apparently it can be used for caramelising (unlike erythrito), such as for creme brules. Let me know how you find it :)

      Delete
  3. Good news - Tagotose is now available at iHerb!! If only they would start selling Oat Fiber as well.

    Happy New Year to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year, NSW Girl :)
      Thanks for the tip about Tagatose! I actually thought about it the other day when I watched a show where they made creme brule. Must get it and try a low carb version.

      Delete
  4. Jag provar igen, det första inlägget försvann visst :)
    Jag har bott i Adelaide i 6 år och varit lchf-are i 10. Jag funderar på att börja med kostkurser i low carb här i Australien, men (som du förmodligen redan vet :) så är ju aussies inte så keen på nya saker. Med den erfarneheten och kunskapen jag har, är dessutom sykepleier i botten, så jag vet jag ju hur folk ska äta sig friska.

    Om du har lust att 'prata' om en aussievri på lchf skulle jag bli glad, man är ju rätt ensam här nede.
    mariaringsparralfakrullme.com

    Tusen takk for en fin blogg!
    //mia

    ReplyDelete